We are updating our version of the INSTRUCTION AND INFORMATION SHEET FOR SF 180, REQUEST PERTAINING TO MILITARY RECORDS (our form Cx17072), to align with the model form available at https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf on the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) website, which is provided in connection with VA Loans pursuant to the VA Lender’s Handbook ch. 2, 4-e.
In addition to minor verbiage changes and updates to contact information and website addresses, some of the more notable changes include:
Under “General Information“, the following text has been added:
Medical information may be withheld from a patient if determined that the information would be detrimental to the patient’s physical or mental health or would likely cause the patient to harm himself or someone else.
Under “Release of Information“,
- The text “legal guardian” has been updated to read, “authorized legal recipient”.
- Citation has been added to include (DoD 6025.18-R C8) & (DoD 6025.18-R C126.96.36.199)
- The abbreviated form for Next of Kin (NOK) has been added
- Text has been added reflecting that the DD Form 1300, Casualty Report can also be provided as proof of death.
Under “Fees for Archival Records”,
- “Photocopies” was updated to “Copies”
Under “Where reply may be sent”, the following text has been added:
- NOTE: If requester desires to send his/her record to a third party, he/she must fill out a DD Form 2870 authorizing the releasing agency to release the record and the timeframe of the authorization. The form may be downloaded using most commercial web search tools by entering “DD Form 2870” as a search term.
Under “SECTION I – INFORMATION NEEDED TO LOCATE RECORDS (Furnish as much information as possible.)”,
- An additional 16 new fields have been created and added for the new section of the doc that prints for “Last four Duty Stations if known.” The name of the new fields are: VA – Borrower [1-4] Last Duty Station [1-4].
Under “SECTION II – INFORMATION AND/OR DOCUMENTS REQUESTED”,
- Item 1
- The following text was added “(Date of Separation)”, and “Please note – recent veterans may be able to request a DD Form 214 through milConnect by visiting: https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/
- ” The following text was deleted “A copy may be sent to the veteran, the deceased veteran’s next-of-kin, or other persons or organizations, if authorized in Section III, below”.
- New Fields and Text added:
- Official Military Personnel File (OMPF): The OMPF may include duty stations and assignments, training and qualifications, awards and decorations received, disciplinary actions, administrative remarks, enlistment and/or discharge information (including DD Form 214, Report of Separation, or equivalent), and other personnel actions. Detailed information about the veteran’s participation in battles and their military engagements is NOT contained in the record. (We will use fields: “VA-Borrower [1-4] Requesting Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)” for this section).
- I request inpatient/hospitalization recorded from__________________(facility), last treated in ______________(year). (NOTE: Fields are required) If available, you may receive copies of inpatient narrative summaries, operative reports, discharge summaries, etc. contained in the record. (We will use fields: VA-Borrower [1-4] Medical Records Facility Name & VA-Borrower [1-4] Medical Records Facility Date [1-4] for this section).
- Text updated to read Medical Records: Includes health (outpatient), extended ambulatory, and dental records. Inpatient/hospitalization records are requested, please specify below
Under “SECTION III – RETURN ADDRESS AND SIGNATURE”
- New Item Added: “RELATIONSHIP TO VETERAN:” with the following fields: VA – Borrower [1-4] Requestor Relationship Description.
These changes will be in effect on July 13, 2021. If you have any questions or concerns about these changes, please contact Client Support at 1.800.497.3584.