VA has updated VA Form 26-1880, again, for the fourth time in four months. Below is the document release timeline on the VA’s form website that has made updating our copy of the form problematic:
- July 2022 – VA added “Space Force” as a Branch of Service. VA FORM DATE: APR 2021, Expiration Date: 11/30/2022, SUPERSEDES Date: NOV 2019
- January 2023 – VA changed the form significantly with VA FORM DATE: OCT 2022, Expiration Date: 10/31/2025, SUPERSEDES Date: APR 2021
- February 2023 – VA changed the form back to original with VA FORM DATE: XXX XXXX, Expiration Date: 10/31/2025, SUPERSEDES Date: APR 2021
- March 2023 – VA used the same form posted in February 2023 but corrected the VA FORM DATE: OCT 2022, Expiration Date: 10/31/2025, SUPERSEDES Date: APR 2021
- April 2023 – VA changed the form again to look like the form they posted January 2023, but kept the VA FORM Date: OCT 2022, Expiration Date: 10/31/2025, SUPERSEDES Date: APR 2021
General Changes on New Version
The (latest) new version of VA Form 26-1880 is a substantial modification. The following sections have been changed:
- The items in Section I for the “Veteran’s Identifying Information” have been rearranged and expanded to include a Service Number.
- Section II “Military Service Information” has been simplified, with the removal of the “OFFICER OR ENLISTED” and “SERVICE NUMBER” columns. 10C has been added, asking “DO YOU HAVE A PRE-DISCHARGE CLAIM PENDING WITH VA?”.
- Section III “Information Regarding Previous VA Loans” has been heavily modified, with the inclusion of new items like:
- ENTITLEMENT INQUIRY ONLY
- HAVE YOU USED THE VA HOME LOAN PROGRAM BEFORE?
- DO YOU STILL OWN ANY OF THE HOMES YOU USED THE VA HOME LOAN PROGRAM FOR?
- 14-16D. ARE YOU APPLYING FOR ENTITLEMENT RESTORATION?
- DO YOU STILL OWN A PROPERTY THAT WAS FINANCED WITH A VA HOME LOAN THAT HAS BEEN SUBSTANTIALLY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED BY A FEDERALLY DECLARED NATURAL DISASTER? (17B through 17D expand on this)
Numerous formatting changes have also been made throughout the document.
New ConformX Document
Because of the complete overhaul of this form posted April 2023, Docutech has created a new form, Cx26687, and will eventually be discontinuing Cx3957. Please note that due to the significant differences between the new and old form, custom coding changes cannot be carried over into Cx26687. Any custom document changes needed on Cx26687 will need to be requested. An additional consequence of the overhaul of VA Form 26-1880 is that the new Cx26687 has a large number of new or updated fields, which can be viewed in a spreadsheet attached here:
The new updated version of VA Form 26-1880 “Request for a Certificate of Eligibility” (Cx26687) will be triggered when new document trigger “Print 2023 VA Request for a Certificate of Eligibility” (FI 174650) = Yes. The old version (Cx3957) will print when “Print 2023 VA Request for a Certificate of Eligibility” = No. The default value for “Print 2023 VA Request for a Certificate of Eligibility” will be “No” if it is not set.
All other default print configurations for the updated version of Cx26687 will be identical to those already in place for Cx3957. Custom print conditions will not be carried over to the new versions unless requested.
These changes will be in effect May 11, 2023. If you have any questions or concerns about this change, please contact Client Support at 1.800.497.3584.
The preceding is for informational purposes only and is not and may not be construed as legal advice. No third-party entity may rely upon anything contained herein when making legal and/or other determinations regarding its practices, and such third party should consult with an attorney prior to embarking upon any specific course of action.